Sunday, March 11, 2012

Unexpected Jungle Trip

Working with a mission organization requires some flexibility.  You never know for sure what's going to happen next.  For example, yesterday I was asked to help on a water project in the jungle,  and leave on Sunday.  Even with the short notice, it didn't take too much convincing for me to decide to go.  While it's not the best timing for me, at least things in Carabuela are stable right now.  I will need to go back there when I return to Quito though.

This may or may not be what I look like by the end of the week
This is pretty exciting for me because I haven't been in the real jungle here in Ecuador yet.  We are working with Compassion International to do a study on a community.  This includes a survey and taking a look at their current water source.  Alfredo, Wim, a Compassion worker, and I will be working out there for a week.  So once I'm packed tomorrow I will hop on a bus and head to Shell, about a five hour ride.  From there we will fly out Monday morning on a small plane deep into the jungle to work and live with the community for five days.  It will definitely be a unique experience, as it's a different world out there.

Getting out of the city can be nice, since I don't have to breathe all the exhaust fumes and listen to car alarms.  Also being without electricity for a week might be somewhat freeing.  I'm looking forward to this next adventure, while trying to stay flexible.

1 comment:

  1. i think you already look like tarzan! small correction: you're much better looking.

    ReplyDelete