Thursday, March 1, 2012

Nothing is Impossible

When life gets busy, it's easy for me to think that there isn't time to be still.  Thanks to a timely reminder from my friend Janine, I started reading My Utmost for His Highest since coming to Ecuador.  The other day I read about falling into the trap of thinking that some things just cannot be done, because of what we lack.  It was a reminder that God's plan is achieved by the supernatural, not by what our own strength can manage.  Since I have trouble remembering things that I read, I decided to start writing something about the devotional each morning on my hand to serve as a reminder throughout the day.  Ironically, the day that I read that one I was walking down the street thinking, ''I haven't been keeping up with my Bible reading the past couple days...''  And then I thought, ''Well when you're traveling and things are busy, you know, it's pretty  much impossible to take time to do that.''  Right at that moment I looked down at my wrist and saw in black ink, ''NOTHING is IMPOSSIBLE''.  I had to laugh, it was just a little slap in the face from above.

That's also a good reminder for the situation with our current project in Carabuela.  After working on installing some chlorination equipment for their water system on Monday and Tuesday, we ran into a problem with the pumps.  As a result we had to leave without finishing, which was disappointing.  After searching all over the city for some new parts (you have to be creative with what's available sometimes), we came up with a solution.  Bruce and I are planning on going back on Monday to hopefully fix the problem.  After that it's up to me to monitor the system for a few days.  I'm still not real confident in my Spanish ability to feel comfortable in the community on my own, but as Bruce said, "Necessity is a great motivator to learn the language."  Well I'm sure there will be plenty of motivation.
Wim measuring our injection pump flow rate

No comments:

Post a Comment