Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Thailand Highlight #9: The Food

Being somewhat of a bigger guy, I was a little worried about having enough to eat during the trip.  Then I quickly realized that I had nothing to worry about.  Monkey, our Karen host at the build site, along with many helpers cooked up some great meals every day for the huge group of us.  When the Karen medics are on FBR missions in Burma they normally eat two meals a day of plain rice.  We were given special treatment with lots of rice, but also vegetables and occasionally some meat.  Despite the fact that I couldn't tell exactly what I was eating, and a few unusual animal parts, it was always delicious.  The Karen enjoy food that is way too spicy for me.  I usually passed on certain things like the fish paste, to avoid melting my face off.

When we came back to Chiang Mai we didn't have any trouble finding good food there either.  I'm a huge fan of real Thai food, it never got old.  I didn't realized how much different it is than "American" food until I ate a couple of french fries on the way home in the airport.  It felt like I ate some rat poison or something.  Makes me realize how unhealthy my meal choices are sometimes.

Family style meal at Monkey's - the bowls of rice just kept on coming.
Some very spicy seafood.  I freaked out a little
at first because I thought it was moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment