Wednesday, February 15, 2012

¿Hasta Mañana?

This past week I joined a small group of other working visitors in some orientation sessions with DeNise, one of the HCJB Global staff.  Between Cecilia (my host mom) and DeNise, I basically have two mothers here that are watching out for me and making sure I am safe at all times.  I try not to complain too much.  Anyway, we have been learning about Ecuadorian culture and how it compares and contrasts to the North American type of social interaction.  Looking back I realized how many different ways I had probably offended people every day since I arrived in Quito.

According to the experts, there are reasonable generalizations that can be made about the "hot climate" culture and the "cold climate" culture.  Some of these things I already knew, but it was interesting hearing it from an Ecuadorian.  Usually in colder climates (northern US, Europe, etc.) the culture is focused on efficiency and individualism.  On the other hand in hot climates such as Latin America, relationships are the most important, and there are strong ties among families and communities.  That's the abbreviated version.

The more time I spend here the more I notice these cultural differences.  I have to remind myself, when I walk into a room I need to personally greet every person there.  And "Hola" doesn't cut it, I need to say "buenas dias, como te va, etc.", shake hands with the guys, and give a kiss to the ladies.  This doesn't exactly come naturally to me.  It's also noticeable that the respect for my time that I expect from people in the States is not available here.  Not that people are rude, it's just that time is not nearly as important as relationships.  We were told that if someone invites you to a social event, be sure to show up 10 minutes to an hour late, never on time.  If you're on time they will not be expecting you, and will feel rushed.  Another helpful hint is that when something is supposed to be done "mañana" that doesn't necessarily mean tomorrow, it only means not today.

Besides trying not to offend people and understand how things work, I'm also trying to get used to living in the city.  Quito is not all that large compared to other big cities in South America, but it is compact.  Squeezed between the mountains, the long and narrow shape of it means there are few main roads.  I'm very glad that I am within walking distance of the office.  Although walking is not the best either.  It's important to remember that pedestrians never have the right of way; cars and especially buses will not stop for you.  Drivers use the horn to let people know that they are coming, whether going through a red light or pulling into oncoming traffic.  The other day I was in the car with Gustavo, my host dad, and he was telling me how in places with strict traffic laws there are actually more accidents because of carelessness.  Whereas here people are more careful when driving.  I agreed, while gripping the dashboard as he weaved around a taxi going the wrong way down the street.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, I'm not your "mizpah madre" ~ that's from Jessica's college days which is my Google ID ~ just want to tell you how interesting your posts are & how it's answered prayers for the "moms" who are watching & keeping you safe. And, ah, hasta manana... (I'm not going to look up the ? or the accented n) ;p In His love, G'macorn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben...I was the 2000th page view. If you remember correctly, I was also the 1000th page view. Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I very much appreciate all my moms.

    And Tony, you have incredible timing. I will have to give you a prize now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure your mom is very happy to know you are in good hands.

    ReplyDelete